Last Game Section version: 1.3.1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do you make a working .tar archive?
I've posted this all over the game mybb forums in about 30 places on the net, and still not 1 person can or will help.

Hello I was hoping to get some help from people who make the tar files on this forum.
I've downloaded some of the games on here for our very small 12 person MW3 game community.

Using mybb you can upload install game tarballs right into mybb game system.
I found some games myself and tried to make these myself since they wasn't on here.

long story short if i .tar up these files myself and try to import them using the tar tab
it tells me error cannot find swf file cannot find large image file small image file etc.

Now i know these files work fine adding them manually onto the ftp then editing game data in admincp.
But how can i package them in a proper .tar archiver? I've tried WinZIP, WinRAR, 7zip's .tar select menu.

Every archiver I try that accepts or builds in the tarball format. Has errors.

Can someone help me? Since all the games on here are already in tarball archives.
I answered this on my site Smile
-ArcadeSection-

Hello Ted. Not really an answer, and this doesn't help anyone else who might be reading this searching for the same thing.
So im going to keep this post/thread updated. For anyone else who might want to learn/or try to help out.

Hello Ted please do. I know quite a bit about flash/swish

problem is when i put the game lets use this as an example

angrybird.php
angrybird1.gif
angrybird2.gif
angrybird.swf

I have tried archiving these in .tar but when importing the created .tar
says cannot find php,gif,gif,swf in the tar file.

Problem is i've tried all various archivers 7zip, winzip, winrar, peazip
I even took all the files out of a working .tar file.

And tarballed the exact same files back up using again all the above.
And still there's errors. I need to know the program YOU use to tarball the files. And what i could be doing wrong.
Error: Archive_Tar: Invalid checksum for file "'!vN�[��������J��)%�R���3�H�Ď�T�_Դ��t�����q r�dr�X�M��)X�A��n�N� A��>!-�O,�����.���)��a�=��]��\�Tt����>��.�IA��%*Ə/Rar!" : 58010 calculated, 7 expected

is what i get when trying to rarup SuperRally3D.swf | SuperRally3D1gif | SuperRally3D2.gif
Now if i add them in 1 at a time, then put them on the game server, everything works.

it's the same for any file any file name i get invalid errors when trying to make .tar files.

If i try to make the archive with 7zip i get this error

The following errors were encountered:

There wasn't a flash file in the tar archive, or it couldn't be copied
There wasn't a gif1 file in the tar archive, or it couldn't be copied
There wasn't a gif2 file in the tar archive, or it couldn't be copied
Guessing the people who make this amazing plugin can't tell people what software to actually use to put the games into an archive that game section can import correctly.
There cannot only be me who is finding it next to impossible to tar up 4 files swf gif1 gif2 and a php file. I've tried every archiver program possible.

WinRAR, WinZip, Peazip, Gzip, 7zip Could it be the programs i'm using are 64bit versions? Could that be the issue?
Well thanks to Feckie @ Feckie.eu he solved this problem. So for anyone else having the same kind of issues.
The tarballs have to be created with 7zip or peazip both free software (WinRAR does not support .tar files natievely)

Every Game Section .tar file has to start with "game_" otherwise if you miss the "game_" out of the file name.
You will get the following errors when adding a tarball package into the Arcade Section.

The following errors were encountered:

There wasn't a flash file in the tar archive, or it couldn't be copied
There wasn't a gif1 file in the tar archive, or it couldn't be copied
There wasn't a gif2 file in the tar archive, or it couldn't be copied

I cannot beleive the people who made this plugin for mybb, did not know or to think to reply to this post explaining about the "game_"
Well, this makes sense because the prefix game_ is always necessary.
The issue sounded peculiar because 7Zip supports TAR archiving
The best way though would be via bash shell where you can always:

Code:
tar -cvf game_{name}.tar {name}*

can do the trick

In case there are nested directories with gamedata ( vital with V32 ) you can juse put all in a directory and

Code:
tar -cvf game_{name}.tar .
www.invisiongames.org

I've never used the prefix "game_" for tarballs and never run into problems.....
No support via PM