Last Game Section version: 1.3.1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie to MyBB and Arcades
Trying to learn about MyBB and Arcades. I have had an IPB forum for 8 years. The last upgrade they did to V4 killed the Arcade mod we had for years. I am thinking of moving to MyBB so my members can still have an Arcade and a Shoutbox. IPB keeps changing things often and breaking mods and the Arcade will not be converted for IPB V4 by the developers.

I have set up a MyBB and an Arcade to learn the operations. I've gotten somewhat confused over the Arcade Plugins. Again I am new so any help/explanation is appreciated. I set up an Arcade called My Arcade. It looks like the one you have here yet they are different versions. I found your site this morning while searching for a way to put an announcement (BAM) on the Arcade Index page and realized there may be another Arcade that looks just like the one I am trying to use.

Can anyone give me some tips, direction or other wisdom?
  • Is Game Section similar to My Arcade?
  • Game Section looks to be better supported but is there anyway to upgrade from My Arcade to Game Section without losing all my games I have installed?
Thanks for any help/advice you can give me. If this is a subject that is sensitive if there is competition between the two arcade versions, please PM me and bring me up to speed. I'm liking MyBB so far and wouldn't mind making the switch since it seems to always have a shoutbox and Arcade in the works.
Hi Windwalker,

My Arcade and Game Section are not competing and they are very similar. There might be some minor differences in features in the front and back end. Both should be able to work with the same type of games. I've never tried to "upgrade" from My Arcade to Game Section or vice versa and as far as I know, there is no converter existing.
No support via PM

Thanks for the quick response Jackl. Looking forward to learning a lot more. Smile
Have fun with MyBB and the Game Section! Wink
No support via PM

(13-05-2016, 17:23)Windwalker Wrote: Trying to learn about MyBB and Arcades. I have had an IPB forum for 8 years. The last upgrade they did to V4 killed the Arcade mod we had for years. I am thinking of moving to MyBB so my members can still have an Arcade and a Shoutbox. IPB keeps changing things often and breaking mods and the Arcade will not be converted for IPB V4 by the developers.

I'm in the same situation mate. Having an IPB forum for about 10 years now, running Arcade only for several years on IPB 3.4.9 software.

I've seen IPB users complaing a lot about the frequent changes in their 4.*.* software releases, changes that indeed do break the mods/hooks etc. Fact that also their Arcade won't be updated, rewritten or what else for the 4.*.* series, makes me stick to IPB 3.4.9 until I found a worthy solution. Currently I'm performing some tests on my home PC, exploring MyBB and their Arcade. Fact is that all is working quite well, though it has to be said that IPB Arcade has more options.

I also found a link to http://arcadesection.net/ where unfortunately I can not register due to the registration procedure not working (Image Verification) and also their Contact Us option is failing due to the very same reason. Have to say ArcadeSection is using a nice skin with a better game listing : 4 in a row instead of 1 single game in standard options. Not sure how the rest of the Arcade is looking as you have to register before you got full access.
(28-11-2016, 13:29)demoneyezer Wrote: Have to say ArcadeSection is using a nice skin with a better game listing : 4 in a row instead of 1 single game in standard options.
This is something which have been done by the site admin hinself (I think it is still TedS). If you know HTML and CSS it is not a big problem to change the layout with help of the game section templates in the ACP of MyBB.
No support via PM

(28-11-2016, 13:29)demoneyezer Wrote: I also found a link to http://arcadesection.net/ where unfortunately I can not register due to the registration procedure not working (Image Verification) and also their Contact Us option is failing due to the very same reason. Have to say ArcadeSection is using a nice skin with a better game listing : 4 in a row instead of 1 single game in standard options. Not sure how the rest of the Arcade is looking as you have to register before you got full access.

Thanks for pointing this out Huh , Sorry for that its all fixed if you would like to go see!
-ArcadeSection-

(02-12-2016, 22:12)Ted S Wrote: Thanks for pointing this out Huh , Sorry for that its all fixed if you would like to go see!

Yep! Managed to register now, will have a closer look later on today.

Cheers TedS! Wink
(28-11-2016, 13:29)demoneyezer Wrote: I also found a link to http://arcadesection.net/ where unfortunately I can not register due to the registration procedure not working (Image Verification) and also their Contact Us option is failing due to the very same reason. Have to say ArcadeSection is using a nice skin with a better game listing : 4 in a row instead of 1 single game in standard options. Not sure how the rest of the Arcade is looking as you have to register before you got full access.

Thanks for that link. I'll check that site out. Sounds interesting.